In the wake of the draft opinion from the U.S. Supreme Court that spelled out the argument for overturning Roe v. Wade, the Court seems poised to dismantle long standing precedent and strip the right to choose from millions of Michigan women and families.
If the Supreme Court fully overturns Roe v. Wade, Michigan will immediately revert back to a draconian ban that criminalizes abortion, makes felons out of reproductive health care providers, and provides no exceptions for rape or incest. Anti-choice advocates have touted the near-total abortion as the most restrictive in the country.
This raises the following questions for the gubernatorial candidates – all 10 of which have used their campaigns to broadcast their anti-choice extremism – to answer immediately:
- Do they support Governor Whitmer’s historic approach to file a lawsuit seeking for the Michigan Supreme Court to deem the dormant 1931 ban unconstitutional?
- If Governor Whitmer’s lawsuit is successful, would they push to implement new abortion restrictions in Michigan?
- Do they support bans on abortion that do not include exceptions for rape, incest, or health of the mother?
- Do they plan to limit access to contraception or plan B?
- What other freedoms do they plan on taking away from Michiganders?
The post As Michigan Gets Closer to a Post-Roe v. Wade Reality, Five Questions Republican Gubernatorial Should Have to Answer About Their Anti-Choice Agendas￼ appeared first on Michigan Democratic Party.