DEARBORN, MI — Ahead of President Joe Biden’s visit to the Ford Rouge Electric Vehicle Center today, Michigan Democrats are touting the Biden-Harris administration’s American Jobs Plan — a historic legislative package that would create millions of well-paying jobs, revitalize and rebuild our country’s infrastructure, and invest in a new, green economy.
Ahead of today’s speech, Michigan Democratic Party Chair Lavora Barnes released the following statement:
“With the American Jobs Plan, President Biden has a plan to build our economy back better than ever — from creating thousands of new jobs for Michiganders to investing in transportation infrastructure across the state. While Republicans in Washington attempt to obstruct the Biden-Harris administration at every turn, President Biden is already delivering results for Michigan’s working families — and he’s only just getting started.”
The wildly popular plan includes major investments in key Michigan infrastructure like the production of electric vehicles, advancing racial equity and environmental justice in communities historically left behind, and building the future of transportation infrastructure across a state that received a D+ on its Infrastructure Report Card after years of neglect under Republicans.
In Michigan, the American Jobs Plan will:
- Invest in Michigan’s manufacturing industry: Manufacturers account for more than 19% of total output in Michigan, employing 631,000 workers, or 14.2% of the state’s workforce. The American Job’s Plan will invest $300 billion to retool and revitalize American manufacturers.
- Repair Michigan’s roads and bridges: In Michigan there are 1,219 bridges and over 7,300 miles of highway in poor condition. Since 2011, commute times have increased by 4.6% in Michigan and on average, each driver pays $644 per year in costs due to driving on roads in need of repair. The American Jobs Plan will devote more than $600 billion to transform our nations’ transportation infrastructure and make it more resilient, including $115 billion repairing roads and bridges.
- Deliver clean drinking water: Over the next 20 years, Michigan’s drinking water infrastructure will require $13 billion in additional funding. The American Jobs Plan includes a $111 billion investment to ensure clean, safe drinking water is a right in all communities.
- Build world-class and resilient infrastructure: From 2010 to 2020, Michigan has experienced 19 extreme weather events, costing the state up to $5 billion in damages. The President is calling for $50 billion to improve the resiliency of our infrastructure and support communities’ recovery from disaster.
- Improve health care for Michigan’s veterans: Michigan is home to over 589,326 veterans, 7.3% of whom are women and 53.4% of whom are over the age of 65. The President is calling for $18 billion to improve the infrastructure of VA health care facilities to ensure the delivery of world-class, state of the art care to veterans enrolled in the VA health care system. This includes improvements to ensure appropriate care for women and older veterans.
The post Biden’s Infrastructure Plan Will Create Jobs, Invest In Communities Across Michigan appeared first on Michigan Democratic Party.