Ryan Kelley — who is featured prominently in several “images showing him deep in the fray of rioters” — is one of 12 Republican gubernatorial candidates. MDP has previously called attention to footage that appears to include audio of Kelley while he advanced on the U.S. Capitol shouting “Come on, let’s go! This is it! This is– this is war, baby!” as he moves along with a crowd of rioters towards the building.
The remaining 11 candidates have largely refused to address the events of the tragic day but continue to promote conspiracy theories about the legitimacy of our elections. This raises the following questions for all 12 extreme candidates in this messy gubernatorial primary to answer immediately:
- Do you condemn or support the insurrection of the U.S. Capitol on January 6th?
- Do you think participants in the insurrection should be prosecuted?
- Do you believe a participant of the January 6th insurrection should be a candidate for governor?
- Do you believe the more than 250 audits of Michigan’s election and Republican state Senate Oversight Committee’s findings that the 2020 election exhibited no significant examples of fraud?
- Do you support the Audit Forward petition effort seeking ‘forensic audit’ of the 2020 election?