After years of pushing their radical, anti-choice agenda, Michigan Republicans are closer than ever to overturning Roe v. Wade and risking tens of millions of Americans’ control over their own bodies — all thanks to five ultra-conservative justices on the Supreme Court. This attack on Americans’ fundamental freedom to make their own health care decisions is wildly unpopular – Americans say Roe v. Wade should be upheld by about a 2-1 margin. This shows just how out of touch Michigan Republicans are — and we’re making sure voters know how extreme GOP lawmakers’ anti-choice agenda is.
Just days ago, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said a federal abortion ban was a real possibility. As the GOP tries to distract from the fact that this is the direct result of their extreme, years-long campaign against reproductive rights, voters should know that Michigan Republicans at every level — from state legislature candidates to Attorney General — will continue to attack reproductive freedoms if they win in November.
Here’s a look at the GOP candidates who extremist anti-abortion views are on the ballot this year:
- Congressman Peter Meijer (MI-03) refuses to step up in support of women and denounce Michigan’s draconian ban on abortion that would put women in jail for receiving this vital form of health care and just last year he called on the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v Wade.
- Congressman John Bergman (MI-01) supports defunding vital services like Planned Parenthood and making sure organizations like these don’t receive federal funds and Congressman Bill Huizenga (MI-04) agrees. This means any Michigander who relies on Medicare would have to pay upwards of $2,000 to cover this operation.
- Attorney General candidate Matt DePerno said if he becomes Attorney General, he’ll prosecute women and their doctors for abortion with no exceptions to rape, incest, or emergency situations.
- Secretary of State candidate Kristina Karamo believes those who support abortion “must worship satan.”
- State Rep. Steve Carra emailed legislative members and staff inviting them to his office to “celebrate the victory” of a Michiganders’ right to choose being taken away.
- Michigan Republicans in the legislature passed a bill that would prevent abortion providers like Planned Parenthood from receiving state or federal funds and use $750,000 of tax payer dollars to fight to keep the draconian, 1931 abortion ban on the books.
The post Here are the Extreme Republicans on the Ballot this November in Michigan appeared first on Michigan Democratic Party.