IN THE STATES: Dems Deliver Major Wins for the American People
In the states this week, President Biden and Democrats delivered major wins for the American people, dealing a blow to entrenched special interests and the Republicans who are pushing their agenda.
While Senate Democrats passed the Inflation Reduction Act to lower the price of prescription drugs, home energy, and more, Republicans blocked a provision that would have capped insulin costs at $35 a month for people with private insurance, prioritizing Big Pharma over making prescription drug prices like insulin cheaper for American families.
- In Arkansas: Arkansas Times: Cheaper insulin for Americans? Tom Cotton and John Boozman say no
- In Idaho: Idaho Statesman Editorial: Use insulin? Idaho’s senators just left you out to dry. Thank them for your next bill
- In Iowa: KCCI Des Moines: Iowa senators block efforts to cap insulin prices through Inflation Reduction Act
- In Michigan: CBS 62 Detroit: Senate GOP Facing Criticism Following Insulin Cap Vote
- In Missouri: St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Editorial: GOP opposition to climate-and-drug bill highlights party’s twisted priorities
- In North Carolina: Raleigh News & Observer: NC Sens. Tillis, Burr face backlash for insulin vote in Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act
- In North Dakota: WZFG: GOP Senators block Democrats attempt to cap Insulin costs for most Americans
- In Ohio: Columbus Dispatch: Portman broke promise to my kids, others fighting for health, dad says
- In South Dakota: Dakota News Now: How the Senate’s insulin cap rejection affects S.D. diabetes patients
- In Tennessee: The Tennessean: Blackburn, Hagerty among GOP senators blocking move to cap insulin prices
- In Wisconsin: Spectrum News: Senate Republicans voted against a cap on out-of-pocket insulin costs for Americans on private insurance.
On Tuesday, President Biden signed the CHIPS and Science Act into law — which will lower costs, create American jobs, and increase competitiveness with China – no thanks to the majority of House and Senate Republicans who sided with China and voted against the bill. This historic legislation is already bringing good news to American manufacturers and job seekers across the states.
- In Arizona: KTAR: Microchips bill driven by Sens. Sinema, Kelly of Arizona earns praise from business leader
- In California: KCRA 3: Rancho Cordova company enthused by passing of CHIPS and Science Act
- In Georgia: 46News: Biden set to boost America’s semiconductor production with signing of CHIPS & Science Act
- In Indiana: WIBC: PURDUE PROF: CHIPS ACT SPURRING NEW INVESTMENT IN INDIANA
- In Minnesota: KIMT3: New CHIPS Law aims to bolster domestic production of semiconductor chips
- In Nevada: Las Vegas Review-Journal: Harris touts inflation, computer chip bill in Vegas visit
- In Ohio: The Columbus Dispatch: Biden signs CHIPS Act, paving way for Intel buildout of New Albany site
- In Pennsylvania: WGAL8: CHIPS Act: Pennsylvania expected to benefit
- In Texas: Spectrum News: How bipartisan boost to semiconductor industry will help Texas economy
- In Washington: The Seattle Times: Sen. Cantwell touts semiconductor bill signed by Biden, saying it will bring investments in WA
Also this week, President Biden signed into law the PACT Act to ensure veterans get the health care benefits they’ve earned — after Senate Republicans temporarily held up the crucial bill to try and score political points.
- In California: News Channel 3: For Congressman Raul Ruiz, Senate passing the PACT Act helps fulfill promise to fallen veteran Jennifer Kepner
- In Hawaii: Hawaii News Now: Hawaii vets applaud expansion of healthcare benefits to those exposed to toxic chemicals
- In Idaho: Idaho Capital Sun: Judge Idaho’s congressional delegation by their actions on veterans bill, not their words
- In Missouri: KSHB: Widow of Kansas City-area veteran who lost battle with cancer relieved PACT Act is finally law
- In Montana: Daily Montanan: Daines flip-flopping for veterans just part of a long line of questionable behavior
- In Nebraska: KETV7: Nebraska Army veteran grateful for PACT Act
- In Ohio: Cleveland.com: President Joe Biden signs legislation named for Ohio guardsman to help veterans injured by military burn pits
- In South Carolina: ABC4 News: Charleston native and veteran grateful for PACT Act
- In Texas: NBCDFW: ‘It’s very emotional’: Burn Pits 360 co-founder shares account of 13 year journey leading to PACT Act becoming law
- In Washington: Tri-Cities Area Journal of Business: PACT Act includes $36M for new VA clinic in Tri-Cities
- In Wisconsin: Wisconsin Radio Network: Wisconsin veterans cheer passage of PACT Act
In addition, the national average of gas prices fell under $4 a gallon. This week marks the eighth in a row that gas prices have declined, and shows that President Biden’s effort to stand up to oil and gas companies and counter Putin’s price hike at the pump is working.
- In Florida: CBS Miami: Florida gas prices dip to five month low
- In Georgia: WSBTV: Decline in gas prices provide much needed relief at the pump for Georgians
- In Kentucky: WEHT: Gas prices begin to fall below $3 in Henderson
- In Maine: WGME: Gas prices decline for 8 straight weeks in Maine
- In Maryland: WBAL: Average price for regular gas in Maryland drops below $4 per gallon
- In Michigan: Fox 2 Detroit: Gas prices in Michigan fall below $4
- In South Carolina: WRDW: Gas prices dip across U.S., and get even lower for Augusta drivers
- In Virginia: InsideNOVA: Northern Virginia average gas prices fall below $4
The post IN THE STATES: Dems Deliver Major Wins for the American People appeared first on Democrats.