Today, Vice President Harris delivered remarks in Florida on protecting the fundamental freedom to learn and teach America’s full history. This comes after Florida’s Board of Education announced new restrictive education standards that not only limit the teaching of Black history in public schools but could lead to students being taught that enslaved people “developed skills” which could be used for their “personal benefit.”
- First Coast News: VP Kamala Harris to visit Jacksonville Friday, expected to voice opposition to state’s new Black history standards.
- NBC 6 South Florida: Kamala Harris to travel to Florida and speak out against state’s new Black history standards
- Action News Jax: VP Harris expected to speak in Jacksonville against Florida’s new Black history standards
- FOX 13 News: V.P. Harris to speak out against Florida’s Black history curriculum during visit to Sunshine State
- Florida Times Union: ‘America’s full and true history’: Why V.P. Kamala Harris is coming to Jacksonville Friday
- WTSP: VP Harris traveling to Jacksonville on Friday to deliver remarks on ‘fight to protect fundamental freedoms’
Yesterday in Pennsylvania, President Biden discussed Bidenomics and the importance of labor unions in America’s clean energy future during his speech in Philadelphia. President Biden emphasized how union workers are a crucial part of the Biden-Harris administration’s efforts to address climate change and invest in clean energy.
- ABC 6 Philadelphia: Biden visits Philly shipyard as he courts organized labor and pushes green jobs
- The Philadelphia Inquirer: President Joe Biden visits Philly Shipyard, touts economic agenda and I-95 reopening
- CBS Philadelphia: President Biden pushes for clean energy during Philadelphia visit; announces project for city workers
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Biden visited a Philly shipyard ‘coming alive again’ as his 2024 economy tour hit both sides of Pa.
On Monday in Georgia, Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona participated in a town hall to discuss actions the Biden-Harris administration has taken to combat book bans and political attacks from extreme MAGA Republicans on public schools.
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: U.S. education chief criticizes political attacks on schools
- Georgia Public Broadcasting: U.S. education secretary on ‘attacking public education’ as Georgia schools prepare to open
- Decaturish.com: U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona discusses contentious topics during visit to Agnes Scott
Today, the U.S. Department of Labor released their state-by-state June jobs report, noting 11 states had lower unemployment rates from last month. Month after month, Bidenomics is continuing to create good paying jobs across the country and rebuild the middle class from the bottom up and middle out, leaving no American behind.
- In Michigan: WHTC: Michigan’s unemployment rate drops to the lowest level in 23 years
- In Georgia: Valdosta Today: Georgia reports record high June job numbers
- In Mississippi: CBS 12: Mississippi’s unemployment rate hits record low for June 2023
- In Pennsylvania: Politics PA: PA’s June Unemployment Rate at Record Low 3.8 Percent
- In Vermont: VermontBiz.com: Vermont’s unemployment rate decreased to historic low 1.9% in June
Also this week, the White House and U.S. Department of Education announced $39 billion in funding for student loan forgiveness for more than 800,000 student loan borrowers across the country. This is yet another way that President Biden and Vice President Harris are committed to strengthening the middle class by providing pathways to affordable education and reducing the financial burden of student loans on borrowers.
- In Alabama: AL.com: 12,720 student loan borrowers in Alabama eligible for relief under new Biden plan
- In Arkansas: Arkansas Democrat-Gazette: 6,940 in state to be forgiven $342M in latest student debt plan
- In Arizona: Cronkite News: Latest student debt-relief plan could mean $1 billion for 20,000 in Arizona
- In Georgia: Atlanta News First: In Atlanta, Education Secretary Cardona hints at more student loan debt relief
- In Georgia: FOX 5 Atlanta: Over 38K Georgians to receive student loan debt relief under Biden plan
- In Georgia: Augusta Free Press: Biden Administration tackles American student loan debt with income-driven payments
- In Hawaii: Big Island Now: Biden Administration student loan forgiveness plan to help nearly 1,700 Hawai‘i borrowers
- In Idaho: Idaho Capital Sun: New debt relief plan will forgive federal student loans for 5,000 Idahoans
- In Indiana: Indiana Capital Chronicle: More than 19,000 Hoosiers will get total student loan debt forgiveness under new Biden relief plan
- In Iowa: Iowa Capital Dispatch: More than 10,000 Iowans to have federal student loan debt forgiven
- In Michigan: Detroit News: Nearly 27K federal student loan borrowers in Michigan approved for loan forgiveness
- In Michigan: Michigan Advance: U.S. Dept. of Ed: Over 26K borrowers in Michigan are eligible for student loan debt forgiveness
- In Minnesota: KARE: More than 13K Minnesotans approved for federal student loan forgiveness
- In North Carolina: NC Newsline: Biden administration to forgive student loan debt for 25,000 North Carolinians
- In Ohio: Cleveland.com: 37,000 Ohioans to have $1.7B in student loans canceled by Biden administration
- In Pennsylvania: CBS Philadelphia: 30K Pennsylvanians approved for $1.3B in income-driven repayment forgiveness for student loans
- In Wisconsin: Wisconsin Examiner: 12,000 Wisconsin borrowers eligible for $576 million in student debt relief under Biden plan
And First Lady Dr. Jill Biden traveled to Augusta, Georgia, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, this week to promote Bidenomics and the Biden-Harris administration’s workforce development initiatives. Augusta and Pittsburgh are two of five designated Workforce Hub cities that will provide training and educational pathways for good-paying jobs in advanced manufacturing and clean energy, thanks to the nationwide manufacturing boom from President Biden’s economic agenda.
- In Georgia: Atlanta Journal-Constitution: First lady Jill Biden visits Georgia to tout White House’s job plans
- In Georgia: WSB Radio: First Lady Jill Biden visits Augusta to promote president’s infrastructure law
- In Pennsylvania: Trib Live: Jill Biden touts airport funding, workforce development during Western Pa. visit
- In Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Capital-Star: Jill Biden touts ‘Bidenomics’ in Pittsburgh stop
Finally, as national headlines highlighted Ron DeSantis’ crumbling campaign, headlines back home were full of calls for him to address rising inflation and crippling insurance prices that have ballooned under his lack of leadership.
- News 4 Jax: State senator says Gov. DeSantis needs to ‘come home,’ call special session to address property insurance crisis
- Orlando Sentinel: Floridians to DeSantis: Come home and fix housing crisis, other woes
- Tampa Bay Times: DeSantis faces high inflation in Florida as he hammers Biden on rising prices
- Florida Insider: High inflation in DeSantis’s Florida
- Action News Jax: Florida lawmakers weigh in of tough week for DeSantis Presidential Campaign
- WFTV: DeSantis presidential campaign cuts some staffers as contributions slow
The post IN THE STATES: While MAGA GOP Tries to Rewrite History, Bidenomics Continues to Bolster the Economy appeared first on Democrats.