Today, to mark the one year anniversary of President Biden’s inauguration as president of the United States, Michigan Democratic Party Chair Lavora Barnes released the following statement highlighting the progress President Biden and Democrats have made to build back better and to help working families in Michigan over the last year:
“President Biden and congressional Democrats took office amid some of the worst crises many of us have seen in our lifetimes, and they promised to deliver results to get Americans back on their feet — that’s just what they did. In just one year, the Biden-Harris administration has helped 200 million Americans get their vaccines, created a historic 6.4 million jobs, and passed a huge investment in infrastructure that is critical to Michigan’s future. And they made all of this progress while facing obstructionist Republicans in Congress, many from Michigan. There’s no question: President Biden has delivered incredible progress for the Great Lakes State thanks to much-needed investments in people and communities. I’m excited to see the progress this second year brings.”
Since his inauguration on January 20, 2021, President Biden and Democrats have delivered for working people.
FAST FACTS: RECORD FIRSTS IN THE FIRST YEAR
- Jobs: President Biden’s first year was the greatest year of job creation in American history, with more than 6 million jobs created.
- Unemployment Rate: The unemployment rate dropped from 6.2% when Biden took office to 3.9%, the biggest single year drop in American history.
- Unemployment Claims: The average number of Americans filing for unemployment has been near its lowest level since 1969. When the President took office, over 18 million were receiving unemployment benefits, today only 2 million are—also the biggest single year drop in history.
- Economic Legislation Passed: Most significant by economic impact of any first-year president.
- Child Poverty: Experts estimate the lowest child poverty rate ever in 2021.
- Expanded Access to Health Care: Nearly 5 million Americans have newly gained health insurance coverage.
- Reduced Hunger: The number of households reporting that they sometimes or often did not have enough dropped by 32%.
- Cabinet: first majority non-white Cabinet in history, with most women in the Cabinet, including first woman Treasury Secretary, first LGBTQ+ and Native American Cabinet officials, and first woman Director of National Intelligence.
- Climate Investments: Largest investments ever in the power grid, electric vehicle chargers, and climate resilience.
- Clean Water: Largest investment and national, bipartisan plan to get safe and clean drinking water to all Americans.
- Cleaner Cars: Strongest vehicle emissions standards ever to save drivers money at the pump and reduce pollution.
- Wind: First-ever approvals of large-scale offshore wind projects.
- Personnel: Most diverse Administration in history – most women, people of color, disability, LGBTQ+, first generation American, and first-generation college graduates.
The post Michigan Democratic Party Applauds President Biden’s First Year in Office appeared first on Michigan Democratic Party.