With April 18th on the Horizon, MDP Renews Its Call for James Craig to Disclose His Taxes, Personal Finances, and Several Other Issues He Owes Michiganders Answers On￼
With Tax Day upon us a week from today, MDP will be holding Republicans running for governor accountable, shedding light on the aspects of their campaign, background, or policies Michiganders deserve more transparency on.
MDP is renewing its Sunshine Week call for Craig and his 11 gubernatorial opponents to disclose their tax returns and personal financial information, which Governor Whitmer has voluntarily done annually since she was a candidate in 2018. Michigan working families deserve a better sense of which interests the entire field’s wrong-for-Michigan agendas are angling to protect.
MDP spokesperson Rodericka Applewhaite issued the following statement:
“James Craig has left Michiganders with more questions than answers. Ahead of April 18th, we’re urging the Detroit Dodger to come clean. Craig can’t credibly ask working families to grant him more responsibility while he evades every conceivable opportunity to be accountable for his own actions and clear the lowest of transparency bars.”
As a reminder, MIGOP-insider favorite and chief “neophyte” James Craig has been clear as mud since he joined the race several months ago. The Detroit Dodger continues to run a campaign that “lack[s] specific policy” solutions and also continues to leave voters with no further clarity on the following:
On His Finances
- Which special interests he’s given paid speeches to and for how much
- How many plum board positions he’s accepted and for how much
On His Campaign
- Whether or not disgraced former House Speaker and alleged sexual abuser Lee Chatfield remains a key advisor of his gubernatorial campaign
- Why he called members of the Michigan State Police “weak-kneed…underlings” that “abandon[ed] their jobs” to operate as cronies, and then made bizarre lies about it
- Why he bothered to announce a statewide “listening tour” that “apparently never materialized”
- How he justifies spending nearly $1,000 a day on private security despite barely holding any campaign events
- How he plans on justifying not certifying the 2024 general election results if elected governor
On His Record
- Why he broke his own promise to get certified to make arrests as Detroit police chief
- Why he fled the scene of a carjacking in 2013
- Why his timeline on switching parties doesn’t line up with how recently he was still a registered Democrat
The post With April 18th on the Horizon, MDP Renews Its Call for James Craig to Disclose His Taxes, Personal Finances, and Several Other Issues He Owes Michiganders Answers On￼ appeared first on Michigan Democratic Party.