Republican Leaders Hypocritically Tweet MLK Quotes While Ignoring Their Own Awful Record
In a move befitting their consistent and shameless hypocrisy, Republican lawmakers celebrated Martin Luther King, Jr. Day while conveniently leaving out how they’re working so hard against the same things he fought so hard for.
Senate Republicans seemed to have suffered from amnesia about their own records, so we figured we’d remind them of what they actually stand for.
Republican Leaders on Twitter:
- Senator Mitch McConnell: “Nearly 60 years since the March on Washington, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s message echoes as powerfully as it did that day. His legacy inspires us to celebrate and keep building upon the remarkable progress our great nation has made toward becoming a more perfect union.”
- Senator Lindsey Graham: “Dr. King was a true fighter for social justice who believed in the potential of America. His vision for our nation was best summed up by his quote — ‘We may have all come on different ships but we’re in the same boat now.’ Let us continue to honor Dr. King’s legacy and works both today and in the days to come.”
- Senator Rand Paul: “As we honor MLK today, may his courage inspire us to redouble our commitment to working together for change. Let’s commemorate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King by uniting the two Americas into one: an America that includes justice for one, and justice for all. #MLKDay”
- Senator John Cornyn: “Today on #MLKDay, we celebrate the lifelong work and commitment to peace and mutual understanding that Dr. King embodied. As I represent 29 million Texans in the Senate, I will continue to heed Dr. King’s message of service, understanding, and mutual respect.”
- Senator Ron Johnson: “Today I am taking a moment to remember the sacrifices of Martin Luther King Jr. We will always be grateful to him.”
- Jennifer Bendery: “Here is Steve Scalise — who voted to overturn the 2020 presidential election after spreading a big lie about voter fraud that fueled a deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol — RTing a message about honoring #MLK and his values.”
Republican Leaders in Real Life:
- Vanity Fair: “MITCH MCCONNELL HAS A NEW STRATEGY TO UNDERMINE VOTING RIGHTS”
- Newsweek: “Lindsey Graham Blasts Joe Biden’s Voting Rights Bill As ‘Manufactured BS’”
- Wall Street Journal: “Rand Paul Taking Heat for Civil Rights Act Comments”
- Texas Tribune: “John Cornyn and Ted Cruz join united Republican opposition to federal voting rights bills”
- Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: “Ron Johnson calls for having Republican lawmakers take over federal elections in Wisconsin”
- PoliticusUSA: “Steve Scalise Voted Against Martin Luther King Holiday Twice”
The post Republican Leaders Hypocritically Tweet MLK Quotes While Ignoring Their Own Awful Record appeared first on Democrats.