Michigan Dems are fighting to defend abortion rights for every Michigander
LANSING —Late yesterday, Michigan House Democrats passed the Reproductive Health Act (RHA) to keep reproductive health care access legal and expand protections for the good of all Michiganders.
Last election, voters made it clear that they overwhelmingly support protecting peoples’ freedom to make their own decisions about their reproductive health and well-being, and in under a year, Democrats have answered their call. This vital legislation is a huge step toward reproductive justice in the face of a Republican Party that has shown they will do anything to outlaw abortion completely and put Michiganders in harm’s way.
“After 40 years of so-called Republican leadership, Michigan’s Democratic trifecta is delivering on their promises to roll back archaic and dangerous abortion restrictions while expanding those fundamental rights,” said Chair of the Michigan Democratic Party Lavora Barnes. “Republican anti-abortion regulations made it a crime for doctors to provide care, raised costs for patients, and hurt health centers trying to serve their communities.
“While this is a momentous piece of legislation, we know there is still a lot of work to do on the path to achieving reproductive freedom in Michigan. We must continue to repeal harmful, politically motivated abortion restrictions that we know disproportionately impact people of color and other marginalized communities. Michigan Democrats will never stop working toward a more just future that ensures reproductive freedom for all Michiganders.”
The Reproductive Health Act takes major steps forward to expanding abortion access for Michiganders in every corner of the state. Specifically, the bill:
- Allows health plans offered on Michigan’s health exchange to provide abortion coverage
- Allows doctors to perform lifesaving and health-preserving medical procedures without criminal penalty (PBA)
- Eliminates TRAP laws that have shut down abortion clinics due to politically motivated restrictions on these clinics
- Repealed politically motivated, medically unnecessary physician reporting requirements
- Eliminates the requirement that state funds be prioritized for allocation to organizations that do not provide abortion
The post Statement: Michigan Dems Applaud Passage of Vitally Important Reproductive Health Act appeared first on Michigan Democratic Party.